SlideShare Explore You
Effectively reported this slideshow.Composing an argumentative essay
Loading in …5
1 of 23
- 2 Comments
- 20 Likes
Felia Bante Urboda, Dep Ed Secondary Teacher
إيماني سر قوتي
No records for fall
- 1. WRITING ANARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY Advanced English (obtained from Brent Davis, 2009)
- 2. What is it for?It is an essay in which the journalist attempts toconvice the reader(s) that his/her viewpoint ina controversial problem is the proper one.
- 3. the method that you do itThe author gift suggestions one side associated with the issueand presents his/her viewpoints witharguments supported by data,examples, facts, and expert opinions. Inshort essays (500 terms),five paragraphs isthe standard structure.
- 4. To write an essay• Introductory paragraphBegin with an interest sentence that isinteresting sufficient to catch the reader’sattention.
- 5. As an example1) Quotations: The Pope stated: “Gay marriages will never be accepted by the catholic church”2) Denifinitions: “Euthanasia”: The work of killing someone to reduce pain and suffering3) Facts: “John F. Keneddy was killed on November 22, 1963 in Dallas”
- 6. Introductory paragraphThe introduction concludes with a thesisstatement, an affirmative sentence thatexpresses the writer’s viewpoint about thetopic regarding the essay.Gay marriage should not be banned.
- 7. Body paragraphsThe 2nd, third, and 4th paragraphsmake up the human body of this essay.IMPORTANT:Each of this paragraphs must start with atransition term (very first, second, to continue, inconclusion, etc) followed by an argumentthat supports the thesis statement. Thetopic sentence must certanly be supported withevidence.
- 8. You will find 3 types of evidence1) StatisticsFacts: “John F. Keneddy was killed onNovember 22, 1963 in Dallas”Figures: However, polls carried out from1966 to 2004 unearthed that as much as 80percent of People in america have suspected thatthere had been a plot or cover-up
- 9. You will find 3 forms of evidence2) specialist opinion:Quote: Abraham Lincoln stated: “Thegovernment of this individuals, by the folks, forthe people, shall not perish from earth”Paraphrase: Abraham Lincoln said thegovernment where the people participatewould never ever dissapear
- 10. You can find 3 kinds of evidence3) Example:The assasination of John F. Kennedydemonstrates your united states of america securitysystem has fail prior to the 9-11 attacks
- 11. Preferably, at least two types ofevidence are used within the bodyessay
- 12. ConclusionThis could be the fifth paragraph, it starts with atransition term (in summary, to summarize,in summary, to conclude, etc) and asummary where the thesis and threearguments are re statedThe essay finishes with a “clincher” – atechnique used to encourage the reader tothink concerning the essay.
- 13. 3 forms of clincher techniques1) Connecting with all the introductionAn instance will be (see fall 6)People have actually the freedom to chose what todo making use of their lives and also the governmentshould respect that.
- 14. 3 Types of clincher techniques2) Asking a rethorical questionShould homosexual wedding be banned?Absolutely maybe not!
- 15. 3 forms of clincher techniques3) Offering a suggestionWho we marry should not be a choice thatis produced by hawaii, the choices thatchange our everyday lives should simply be made by united states.
- 16. Persuasive strategiesThere 4 fundamental ways of make use of whenever writinga argumentative essay. They are:
- 17. 1Do perhaps not use any very first or second personpronouns (I, you, we, my, our,etc)By just utilising the 3rd person singular orplural (he, she, it, they, etc), the essayappears impersonal and there for rational
- 18. 2Do perhaps not use any contractions (he’s, she’s,don’t, musn’t, can’t, etc). Remember thatwhen we compose an academic paper or otherformal paper we can't utilize contractionsexcept to point possession (the pope’sopinion)Being formal gives credibility to youressay
- 19. 3Place the weakest argument into the secondparagraph of the human anatomy (paragraph 3).By putting the weakest argument in themiddle associated with the two paragraphs, the strengthof the 2 arguments hides the weakness ofthe second one. In other words, you beginand end strong.
- 20. 4In the introduction, present the opposingviewpoint first, after which refute it in yourthesis statements.By presenting the opposing place andthen refuting it, you appear open-minded;you indicate which you have considered bothsides regarding the problem, choosing the higher of thetwo.
- 21. Language structures and change termsSome helpful language structures to presentand then refute an opinion are:• While proponents claim that…,it would appear the opposite is true• Some have asserted that…; nonetheless, …• maybe it's argued that…; however, ….
- 22. Notice the words however and however.They are change words and, such as the termsfirst, second, and 3rd, they assist the readerfollow your train of idea.
Test Prep: PSAT
On the web Course — LinkedIn Learning
Innovative Insights: Renaldo Lawrence on Elearning
Online Course — LinkedIn Learning
Teaching Technical Techniques Through Movie
On line Course — LinkedIn Learning
Conflict Management inside Classroom
Mary Grace Termulo
Conflict Resolution Techniques among Class Principals in Area XII
Conflict quality within class
Conflict Management Techniques for Principals and Vice-Principals
kinds of relationships between instructors and pupils
scholar instructor relationships and learning outcomes
Cindy R. Irham
LinkedIn Corporation © 2019
Public clipboards featuring this slide
No general public clipboards found because of this slide
Choose another clipboard×
Looks like you’ve clipped this slip to already.
Create a clipboard
You merely clipped your first slide!Clipping is a handy way to collect essential slides you intend to go back to later. Now customize the title of a clipboard to keep your clips.
DescriptionPresence other people can see my Clipboard